Best advice for logo designers

I am new to logo designing. So what are the best advices you have to give for a new logo designer? Please reply with the things that you wish you knew when you started as a logo designer.

First of all these are just my opinions. I am not a great designer. But I think I am a good one. Being said that, these are the best advices I have to give any one just getting started with the logo designing.

Keep it Simple

In the initial days of my logo designing journey I always tried to stuff unnecessary things into my designs. It was to impress my clients by letting them think that I can do these things that are missing on other logos. After doing this for years, and their hearing the feedback from my clients, I finally realised that I was doing it wrong all along.

If you look at the best logos of the multi billion dollar companies, you will realise that they are all very simple. I am not saying that they are bad, but they are just very simple that any designer can easily designed them, even the beginners just like yourself. Here are few examples.

Google

Apple

Microsoft

Icons/Images are very useful

Instead of going for plain logo that only has text, it is always a good idea to you put some images or icon in it. As you can see in all of the examples I provided above, there is always Sun I can represent doing the brand. Google also has one with you might be already familiar with.

So, create two things to represent the brand. An icon without any text whenever possible. And a logo consisting of both the icon and the text.